Safety Forum: How Technology is Boosting Safety
We have a three-part presentation for you. Get ready to get “tech’d” out! Learn about the latest in Safety and AI, innovations for safety technology changing how we manage projects, and a name badge that contains everyone’s digital certification! Don’t miss this three-part lunch workshop! Lunch is served at 11 a.m. along with the program. There will be a break after Session II.
SESSION I: Safety & AI
Brian serves as a Client Director at Orbital Engineering, Inc., where he has led the St. Louis Office for the past nine years. He holds a PE license and PMP certificate. He is a graduate of the University of Missouri – Columbia where he earned a BS in Mechanical Engineering. Prior to working at Orbital, he held management positions at Prairie State Generating Company and Ameren. He has over 25 years in the heavy industrial industry working for both owners and consultants.
David serves as the Chief Technology Officer at Orbital Engineering, Inc., where he has played a pivotal role in shaping the company’s technological direction and strategy since his arrival in 2020. Over the past three years, he has adeptly aligned technology and innovation initiatives to fortify the company’s objectives. David is a pioneering force in building and overseeing high-performing technology teams across diverse disciplines, including Artificial Intelligence, GIS, and Business Intelligence. David holds a bachelor’s degree in software engineering and a master’s degree in engineering management, both earned from Robert Morris University. During his academic journey, he was a founding member of RMU’s chapters of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Robotics team, and the Association for Computing Machinery. This rich educational background serves as the bedrock for his dynamic and impactful career in technology leadership.
Sterling leads the Artificial Intelligence group at Orbital Engineering with a focus on image, LiDAR and stereoscopic data inputs to detect real-time Safety and Security violations as well as provide data for Asset Inspection. Sterling’s team operates on remote, edge-based computer platforms that allow for detection in environments with limited / no connectivity. Before joining Orbital, Sterling served in various IT, Sales and Consulting roles at Deloitte Consulting and Oracle. Sterling holds a bachelor’s degree in engineering from Brigham Young University.
SESSION II: TECH SERVICES EVOLUTION AND SAFETY
Trident will be discussing the current and future state of technology services in regard to safety, site assessment, ongoing supervision, and predictive analysis of projects. In recent years, drones, sensors, cameras, advanced AI algorithms, and other IoT/Networking devices have been increasingly utilized in our and other industries to assist in collecting specific information/data points on a case by case basis. The focus of our discussion is the evolution of this process to one that utilizes “fuses” independently collected data points of multiple sources to create a more robust and contextual depiction of the current and predicted future state of projects.
Jeremy is currently the Chief Operating Officer for Trident Industries, a Service-Disabled Veteran Owned company specializing in Professional Services to Utilities and Contractors in the Power Generation and Delivery Industry. As part of this role, Jeremy’s responsibilities include:
- Developing service lines and business strategies that support short and long-term company objectives.
- Building relations with key partners and stakeholders, serving as a point of contact for all clients during the business development process.
- Oversight of Senior Management and Staff.
- Oversight of all operations and business activities.
- Oversight of company software development and integration
- Enforcing legal guidelines and in-house policies to maintain the company’s legality and business ethics
- Following High School, Jeremy attended Texas A&M University – Kingsville, where he received a BA in Computer Information Systems in 2004
- Following college, Jeremy served as an Infantry and Military Intelligence Officer in the United States Army 2005 – 2013.
- Jeremy’s military service includes one deployment to Iraq and two deployments to Afghanistan.
- Jeremy’s military awards include Bronze Star (2), Army Commendation Medal, Army Service Ribbon, National Defense Service Medal, NATO Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Combat Action Badge, Global War on Terrorism Medal
- Jeremy’s military training includes U.S. Army Ranger School, U.S. Army Air Assault School, US Army Airborne School, U.S. Army Infantry Officer Basic Course, Military Intelligence Captain’s Career Course, Foreign Disclosure Officer Training, Security Forces Advise and Assist Training
- Following the military, Jeremy served as Division Manager for Kenny Construction Company (Chicago, IL) 2014-2018: In this role, Jeremy oversaw all material management and distribution operations for electric utilities throughout the US and Canada.
- In 2018, Jeremy relocated to the Greater Saint Louis area to assist in the establishment of Trident Industries, working with Ameren and other utilities in the Missouri and Illinois area.
SESSION III: Mobile Solutions
- The certification card allows our skilled trade employees to see all their certifications in one place.
- The QR code on the card allows for easy access to confirm certifications and their expiration dates.
- Certification renewal dates and expiration dates can be updated in real-time without having to reprint badges.
- The software allows us to run reports to identify who has certs coming due and those that have expired.
- The software database is a one stop shop for all employee information. (Training, personal info, medical information, emergency points of contact, company assets assigned to them, etc.)
- Only the training certifications are viewable through the QR code.
Matt Buydos has 20 years of experience developing identification and accountability solutions to serve the Midwest region on behalf of Elliott Data Systems, Inc. He has worked closely with leadership from financial, local government, the public sector, and emergency response by providing analytic services and developing integrated, automated solutions for improved systematic practices throughout each organization. Matt has extensive experience in implementing innovative technology solutions that revitalizes each industry through advanced security and accountability. As part owner of Elliott Data Systems, he has participated in maintaining and developing partnerships that support Elliott’s tradition of providing quality, value-added solutions with comprehensive support options, that may be tailored to individual needs and goals.
Matt has worked closely with global leaders such as Entrust Datacard Corporation, a leading manufacturer of digital and physical security, identify and payment solutions, to support the financial industry in providing the most current, viable, highly secure financial instant issuance, central issuance and EMV technology available to ensure their customers’ success. After obtaining his Bachelor of Science from Missouri State University, Matt began what would be a long career at Elliott Data Systems with many contributions in the product advancements of the company.
Joe Shryock – Safety Director, Icon Mechanical (USER)
Joe Shryock is a seasoned professional with 15 years of expertise in environmental health and safety compliance, industrial hygiene, and process improvement strategies. Currently serving as the Corporate Safety Director for icon Mechanical, he leads a team of 16 Safety Professionals overseeing projects from coast to coast. Joe holds notable certifications, including Certified Occupational Safety Specialist (COSS) and Safety Trained Supervisor for Construction (STSC). He is also an authorized OSHA trainer in construction industry standards.
Joe’s journey in the field began as a skilled tradesman, contributing over a decade to the Local 527 Cement Masons union. This hands-on experience spanning more than 10 years proved invaluable, shaping his approach towards the total well-being of all workers. Over the past 20 years, Joe’s career has undergone a remarkable transformation from apprentice to the Corporate Safety Director of an industry-leading mechanical firm.
Under his leadership, icon Mechanical’s safety program and culture have earned prestigious accolades, including the nationwide Safety Excellence Award presented by the Mechanical Contractors Association of America & CNA Insurance. Furthermore, the Southern Illinois Occupational Safety & Health Excellence Award for Construction was bestowed upon icon Mechanical’s safety program at the 2019 SIOSH/SAFETYCON conference. Joe Shryock’s commitment to safety and his contributions have significantly impacted the industry, establishing him as a key figure in occupational safety and health