Alan Detmer, Unit Head, NA Discipline Engineering and Project Services at Bayer, serves on our Board of Directors as well as our Executive Committee. Read below to get to know a little more about him!
Q: Where did you grow up? What brought you to St. Louis?
- A: Trenton, IL; St. Louis area has always been home for me. I have enjoyed working in St. Louis’ engineering/construction industry. St. Louis, especially the engineering/construction industry, has always seemed like a big city with a small-town feel.
Q: Where did you go to college?
- A: University of Illinois
Q: What brought you to work in the AEC Industry?
- A: I set out to be an engineer to build things and accomplish projects. I always find it rewarding to successfully complete projects.
Q: What’s your favorite part about your position?
- A: Working with a broad group of people in business, engineering, and construction on common objectives that tie projects to business success.
Q: What is your proudest moment from working at Bayer?
- A: I find it difficult to identify one specific defining moment. In general, the transition from Monsanto to Bayer has been challenging and rewarding.
Q: What do you enjoy doing in your free time? Any special hobbies?
- A: I enjoy professional sports, especially Cardinals and college football. Although this has been an off-year for the Cards. And fishing when time allows.
Q: What’s something that most people don’t know about you?
- A: I enjoy history – reading, movies, and visiting historic sites, etc.
Q: What advice do you have for young professionals in our industry?
- A: Learn from everyone and hold on to the things that work best for you.